« Home | I Had a Date Yesterday » | Quite Possibly the Stupidest, Lamest Movie This Ye... » | For those of you who are expats in Paris... » | I've been tagged! » | Le coup est fait » | Um, thanks » | Travel plans » | Aww, yeah » | Back to life... » | Can't write... » 

Friday, March 31, 2006 

She got on a plane

My eleven year old (along with 54 other ten and eleven year olds) got on a plane on Wednesday to fly to France. It was surreal. This group of kids and teachers at the Air France counter, checking luggage, some giggling with excitement, some weeping at the prospect of being away from their parents for so long (two weeks.) My daughter was in the former group.

She's pretty used to getting on planes without me, since she goes to my mom's every summer for a month or more. The difference is, of course, we (ok, I) could call every day. This is not the case. Ce n'est pas interdit, but it is discouraged. The idea is for them to be immersed in the culture - not easily accomplished when parents keep calling. They'll be living with host families who speak no English, and attending school. It'll be an amazing experience for them. But kind of hard on us.

Anyway, I should be wishing luck to the villages of Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer and Langrune-sur-Mer which are being overrun by a throng of priviledged American kids...

In other news, I went to see The Pretenders at The Warfield. It was fun. I don't care what anyone says, I love Chrissie Hynde. For me, when I was about 12, she was part of the triumvirate of "chicks who could kick your ass" that I adored, the other two being Joan Jett and Pat Benatar. What can I say? I grew up in Tacoma. I credit that fact for my abiding love for Def Leppard, too. As an homage to Chrissie, I wore tons of black eyeliner. Tons. I also smeared on some cheap red lipstick. I looked cool in my bathroom, but when I got to the venue and went inside the restroom there, I realized, I just looked like a raccoon. A raccoon hooker. Whatever. Anyway, it was a good show - even if a large constituency of the audience looked old enough to be my parents.

Paris...less than one week!

Oh, poor thing, with a family that speaks NO ENGLISH AT ALL?!! Where do they get these people?!! Well, I hope she likes the food at least. ;)

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link