« Home | Reunited » | I am a dork. » | A Brief Respite » | My Brush with "CeWEBrity" » | What a Difference an "O" Makes... » | The Morning After... » | Sunday in Paris... » | Paris » | Sad, but true... » | I'm not dead...just in Amsterdam. » 

Sunday, April 30, 2006 

Brussels? Not so much.

April 14, 2006

Maybe it was the dreary weather. Maybe it was the omnipresent signs warning against pickpockets. Or maybe my mind was still in Paris. Whatever it was, I wasn't a big fan of Brussels.

Binky (my daughter - I've called her that since she was a baby, and she is so over it!) and I walked from our hotel to the Grand’Place. While I do admit, it is one of the loveliest squares I've seen in Europe, after you've seen it, then what?

Of course, one of the things Belgium is known for is chocolate. I'm actually not a big chocolate fan, but when in Rome...er, Brussels...

I had two small pieces - one was green tea, the other caramel and earl grey tea. Very good. Bink had a chocolate escargot filled with praline cream, and a milk chocolate something or other.

After more walking and window shopping, we came across a vendor of gauffres, the famous Belgian waffles. Wow. Really good. You might even get me to go back to Belgium for one of those one day. Vanilla scented, served with crème fraîche, in my case, and ice cream in Bink's.

We came across a grocery store and went in to buy a couple of bottles of water, and marvel at all the different food stuff - always entertaining.

Next, it was time to find Petit Julien, aka, the Manneken-Pis. Oh - and did I mention it was raining? Well, it was. A lot. Eventually, we found it. My prude of a daughter was scandalized, but I thought it was cute.

After doing some minor shopping at H&M (where we bought an umbrella) and C&A (where I had to figure out what size bra I wear - quite a task) we headed back to the hotel for a break.

Later, it was time to find dinner. We decided to go touristy, and try (what else) mussels. The chain Leon de Bruxelles was packed, so we went to another place, just down cheesy rue Boucher. Pretty bleak, but oh well. We didn't get a chance to sample the famous frites, but that's okay.

We made it back to the room, did a quick packing job, showered, and went to sleep. We couldn't wait to get the fuck out of Dodge, and get to Amsterdam in the morning.

yes brussels was missing something scottish, I think:)

I so agree with Kim! I've never been to Brussels but I have been to Antwerp. I did like it, but I remember feeling a little odd. We were certainly tourists. But the city itself was so beautiful.

Now you know there is a fun rivalry between the French and the Belge (and the English and the Italians...oh you get the point!), but you describe Brussels perfectly. Lots to eat to keep your mind off of things.

However, the fact that you've disappeared with posts tells me that you can't remember Amsterdam! I can't wait to read the details. Which by the way, does Binky read your blog?

*tap tap tapping my fingers*
Uh, did I mention that I was sitting at the edge of my seat???
Thomas would say I was just being a nosy american, I'm pleading that It is like reading a juicy juicy novel and I cannot turn the pages quick enough! :o)
k

Eric - No!! My daughter doesn't know of the existence of this blog...not for her young eyes, I'm afraid

Kim - I'll write more...busy weekend, dentist and oral surgeon appointments, and a job interview!

Brussels is VERY depressing... I agree.

Job interview?... Hurrah!!

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link