« Home | Sunday in Paris... » | Paris » | Sad, but true... » | I'm not dead...just in Amsterdam. » | I'm on my way... » | Oh yeah... » | She got on a plane » | I Had a Date Yesterday » | Quite Possibly the Stupidest, Lamest Movie This Ye... » | For those of you who are expats in Paris... » 

Sunday, April 23, 2006 

The Morning After...

April 10, 2006

I slept for four hours, then went out. I walked around Beaubourg for a while, checked my email, and made plans to meet up with Eric on Wednesday.

I went back to the Forum to buy a coat at H&M...which I did. Unfortunately, as I was leaving the store, the security monitor went off. Seems the cashier had missed taking off one of the inventory control tags. Great. I had to show my ticket caisse to the large African man at the door. He checked it over, wrote something on it and told me to go back to the register. All the while asking "You're not from here? Where are you from?" "The United States." "New York?" Blah, blah, blah. May I go now?

I stopped by San Marina, one of my favorite shoe stores. I found what I thought were the perfect shoes for me. Suede and leather, nice heel - really cute. I tried on a size 40. They were too big, so I asked for a 39. They had none, so I tried on a 38. Too tight. Argh. Determined to find them, I took the Métro to Printemps, which also carries that line. They didn't have them. I consided going back and getting either the 38 or 40, but I didn't have time: I needed to get back to the hotel to get ready to meet JennC.

I waited on the steps of the Opéra Bastille. After musing to myself that the exact same kids with their exact same dogs that hang out on Haight St. are also here at the Bastille, Jenn came around the corner.

I gave her some Girl Scout Cookies (I'd brought a bunch to give to folks, and was so happy to get them out of my suitcase...they took up a lot of valuable space!) and we went across the street to happy hour at a Tex-Mex restaurant - at least the French version of a Tex-Mex restaurant.

After a few awkward moments of small talk (it was like a weird, blind date,) we got our drinks. That's when I reached into my bag and pulled out my knitting needles and yarn. I needed to learn how to purl, and word on the street was that she's a pretty darn good knitter. So, between drinks, she tried to teach me. I thought I had it. Actually, for a while there, I did.

Jenn's version of the night's events is here.

After some more tipsy knitting, we decided to go to dinner. We stopped by the much heralded Café Charbon, but it was too smoky for me. We opted for a nice Brazilian place down the street. Jenn is a lot of fun (of course, I may be biased - she's Canadian, after all, and my love for all things Canadian was documented several years ago on my old Diaryland page.)

Unfortunately for her, she was also the first person to hear my rambling account of the previous night’s shenanigans. Sorry! With the time difference, I hadn't had time to talk about it with anyone else yet.

After dinner, on our ways home, we went into the Parmentier Métro station. There, for some inexplicable reason, was a huge - I don't know - homage to the French potato and it's growing regions. There were several bizarre examples of different, oddly shaped tubers pictured. Jenn remarked that they looked like "goblin willies" and I almost lost it! I couldn't stop laughing.

I can't wait to hang out with her again.

When I got back to my room, I put on my pajamas, pulled out my knitting, and was determined to practice purling. After several failed attempts, I gave up. I guess I wasn't drunk enough anymore. I promise to keep trying, Jenn!

Things I forgot to tell you, Jenn: I freaking loved your coat! Also, when we were talking about how remarkably well preserved I am for my, ahem, advanced age, I forgot to mention that when I was a Black Up, the woman suggested I buy some firming cream for my face! Did I smack the bee-yotch? Hell, no! I bought the cream! Also, I took my camera out, but forgot to take a photo of us - how lame is that? And remember when you asked me about my camera's memory card? The next day, I took two pictures, and got the "memory card is full" message. Oops. I had to delete some of the 2+ year old photos...duh.

yayayayya buzzgirl you are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love your stories!!!! You sound like you had an excellent time, sooo excellent!!!!!!

I just want to know, where the hell is the pic of the backside of the scotty?? I can understand that you couldn't necessarily take a pic of him full frontal (I mean, his face silly) but couldn't you have asked him to fetch you a drink or something and *click*..hehehe
just kidding, I'm so glad you got some in paris, what a fun, sexy memory....any news from him after that..he sounds kinda interesting:)

Now about the job situation. can you apply over there for anything?? what is your field? what about canada? good luck, and I'm glad you're back:)

Kim:o)

It looks like I'm going to have to make you a knitting manual....

I bought that coat in Canada at Value Village last year. In Canada, second hand clothes cost a pittance but in Paris, they cost a fortune. That same coat would be over a hundred euros here. Nuts.

I've been savouring the Girl Scout cookies... The café ones are my favourites... Thank you so much.

Cheers...

P.S. Am enjoying hearing about your trip to Paris.

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link