« Home | The Morning After... » | Sunday in Paris... » | Paris » | Sad, but true... » | I'm not dead...just in Amsterdam. » | I'm on my way... » | Oh yeah... » | She got on a plane » | I Had a Date Yesterday » | Quite Possibly the Stupidest, Lamest Movie This Ye... » 

Monday, April 24, 2006 

What a Difference an "O" Makes...

NO! Not that! Read on...

April 11, 2006

Never before having had a one night stand in my life (really!,) I wasn't quite sure of the etiquette, but I wanted to know the name of the wine that I had enjoyed with dinner on Sunday night, so I'd sent Scottie a text message asking about the wine, and the composer he had mentioned. He wrote me back to let me know the wine (a red Sancerre) and the composer's name (Jean Michel Jarre.) He'd mentioned that he'd be out of town for work today, but wanted to know if I'd be around on Wednesday...

I walked around a bit. I stopped into an SNCF office and bought my ticket to Caen to pick up the kid, and our tickets for Amsterdam.

I wandered around Belleville for a good while, and bought some cool sunglasses. I also took this photo:

Now, come on! Is that a graffiti image of Robert Wagner as "Jonathan Hart," or what?! Here's a comparison:



See? WTF?!





I then began my quest for an épilation d'urgence!

I thought I might see signs for salons offering waxing services in posh neighborhoods...at least that's the deal here, so I headed for the Champs-Elysées area (which I had hoped to avoid.) No luck, but I did remember that there is a Ladurée there, and it was on my list of places to go. Oh. My. God. Macarons. I'd never cared about these most heralded treats in all of Paris, because I've always hated coconut, and in the U.S. a macaroon (with two "o"s) is a coconut cookie. Yuck. However, I'd been hearing so much about macarons (with one "o") lately, I had to see what the fuss was about. Well. Now I know. I decided to try several, because, you know, they're small. They were out of my first choice, caramel à la fleur de sel, but I did try one each of pistache, framboise, citron, vanille and praliné. Hot damn! I was (am) hooked! What a difference an "o" makes!


YUCK!!



YUM!!


I stopped by a hotel and asked the concierge about a spa nearby. I was directed to one, but they had no available appointments. Dommage. However, on the way there, I passed another San Marina store. They had the shoes I had wanted, and in my size. Of course I bought them.

Afterwards, I took a trip down memory lane, and went by the first place I ever stayed in Paris. When I was 16 I was an exchange student in the South of France and the program booked us into a hotel in the 8eme for two nights before we got on the train for Narbonne. The hotel is still there, though fancier now. They've gotten an additional star. Even the cafe on the corner, Le Coin was still there.

After a quick stop at Monop', I went back to Laduree, (hoping the same person wasn't behind the counter!) got a couple more macarons, and headed back to the hotel. After I got out of the shower, I watched the movie "Charlie's Angels" dubbed into French. Funny.

I found your blog via ParisDailyPhoto last week and have been enjoying reading your entires. Macarons are my favorite thing to eat in Paris! I went to Ladurée almost every day when I was there last November :p I can't wait to go back next month to eat more ;) If I get a craving, I go to Fauchon here in NYC but it's not the same as a Ladurée macaron.

Wednesday was my b'day...did you get twice lucky on my b'day??? wooo hooo:)
k

I'm loving your adventures and now wish I had been in a state of mind to have met you while you were here. I hope you understand. Keep them coming as it's fun to follow your trip.

Oh yeah--Ladurée, macarons, mmmmmmm!!! My fave is the violet, closely followed by the rose. I'll have to pop by and see what they've got in store for summer.

Wow, that sounds like you had a great time!

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link