« Home | Our Last Day in Paris (Part 2) » | Our Last Day in Paris (Part 1) » | Somebody Talk Me Out of it » | Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da » | Moore, Goode, Dick » | The Long Goodbye » | Amsterdam » | Poor Planning » | Brussels? Not so much. » | Reunited » 

Saturday, May 13, 2006 

Je t'aime, au revoir

April 20, 2006

The alarm went off at 7:00. We got dressed, and checked out of our room.

We took a taxi for the short trip to the Gare de Lyon, where we picked up the Air France coach. We took our seats on the bus. As we wended our way through the streets of Paris and onto the boulevard périphérique, it really hit me: I'm leaving Paris. I dug into my bag, and pulled out my iPod. I set the music to "shuffle songs" pushed "play" and sat back, looking out the window as the disappearing city rushed by. I smiled, sadly to myself when I realized how appropriate the first song that came on was - Thomas Dolby's I Love You, Goodbye

Some words are sad to sing
Some leave me tongue-tied
(But the hardest thing to tell you)
But the hardest words I know
Are I love you goodbye
I love you goodbye
(Je t'aime, au revoir)
I love you goodbye
(Je t'aime, toujours)
I love you, goodbye



After checking in, and making it through security, we arrived at the gate where we were greeted by four other girls from Bink's class who were also on the same flight.

Air France has these cool, kind of futuristic pods that they load passengers on that drive them to the plane, raise up, and unload passengers directly onto the plane. Cool.

We found our seats and settled in. Before I replaced my temporary SIM card, with my "real" one, I decided to send Scottie one last message. "Whatever, dude! On plane. Glad I met you." A few minutes later, I got this reply "Aye aye quine. Keep smiling. I hope you get back to work without bother." Whatever.

The flight itself was uneventful, Bink spent most of it with her friends, the roaming pack of American girls who speak French. The flight attendants loved them, and kept slipping them ice cream.

And then, we were back in San Francisco. The trip was over.

Links to this post

Create a Link