« Home | Moore, Goode, Dick » | The Long Goodbye » | Amsterdam » | Poor Planning » | Brussels? Not so much. » | Reunited » | I am a dork. » | A Brief Respite » | My Brush with "CeWEBrity" » | What a Difference an "O" Makes... » 

Sunday, May 07, 2006 

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Life goes on. That's from The White Album, you know ;)

April 18, 2006

Since I couldn't very well let my daughter know why I was feeling a bit blue, I put on a happy face, and we started our day.

First on the list: making our way to the Jardin des Tuileries to spread some of my dearly departed dog's ashes. Yes. I brought my dead dog's ashes to Paris. See, the thing is, I loved this dog. I got him when he was nine weeks old, and he died at 15 years, 4 months. He was with me my entire adult life, until he died last July. In fact, my daughter called him her "dog brother." I'd always considered bringing him with me when I vacationed in France, but didn't think he'd abide the crate for the flight very well. So, I finally brought him with me.

As we walked through the park, we ran into (yet another) teacher from my daughter's school. She had been a chaperone on the exchange trip. We stopped and chatted for a few moments. She asked us if we'd seen any other kids from the trip with their parents. We hadn't, but she had run into a couple of families. After a couple of minutes, we headed off in opposite directions.

My daughter and I found a nice tree to spread the ashes, and take a moment to say goodbye. Nope - we didn't get caught!

Afterwards, we walked to the Place de la Concorde (where Eric took this lovely photo.)

We walked over to Place de la Madeleine, did some serious (window) shopping at Fauchon. I bought some mustard at Maille (mango with Thai spices!) and, surprise(!), there's a Ladurée there, too.

I took this opportunity to introduce her to the magic that is the macaron. Her favorite? Rose. Yuck. To each his own, I suppose.

We hopped on the Métro and headed for the huge Tati at Barbès-Rochechouart in the 18eme. Man, what a zoo! It was kind of worth it though: I bought some towels, some kitchen stuff, some bath stuff, socks - and made it out of there having spent less than 20€. Nice.

After Tati, we walked by a discount luggage store. We went in, and I bought a roller bag to bring back all of our purchases.

After dropping our stuff at the hotel, we had lunch, and then we went to the only monument that really mattered to my daughter: Berthillon. We walked over to the Île de la Cité, made our way past the crowds of people eating ice cream on the street. Unfortunately, the shop itself was closed. There was a sign in the window saying they'd be on vacation until the 20th (the day we were leaving.) Bummer! She was kind of pissed, I think, but was easily consoled with a cone from one of the Berthillon vendors across the street.

We decided to walk over to H&M at the Forum des Halles. She had tried on some really cute pants at the store in Brussels, but they didn't have her size. On our way there, as we were walking down the street, we hear this [Binky! Binky!] from the other side of the rue de Rivoli. There were two girls from her class (and their moms) buying crèpes. So, instead of shopping, we hung out with them. Unfortunately. (I happen to not be a big fan of the majority of parents at her school, but that's another issue for another day.)

After dinner, I had to get her to bed at a reasonable hour because I had a surprise for her the following day.

I kinda like the rose macaron ;) My favorites are the pistachio and almond. Mmmm...less than two weeks before I can stuff my face with them!

Your entry made me so hungry...your talk about crèpes, macarons, Berthillon ice cream, Fauchon...

you are such a great mom!!

k

I think you love france a lot! sounds like me and switzerland. ;-)

Loving this travelogue so far. How the hell are you these days, my friend?

Lots of love x

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link