« Home | Somebody Talk Me Out of it » | Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da » | Moore, Goode, Dick » | The Long Goodbye » | Amsterdam » | Poor Planning » | Brussels? Not so much. » | Reunited » | I am a dork. » | A Brief Respite » 

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 

Our Last Day in Paris (Part 1)

April 19, 2006

I woke the girl up early so that we could get the most out of our last full day in Paris.

After a quick breakfast we headed for the Métro. After switching to the RER, we exited at Javel, and walked through Parc André Citroën to her surprise: a ride in the Aeroparis balloon. I'm not a big fan of heights, but she loves them. So, we got our tickets and went up the 150 meters in the balloon. The views were, admittedly, breathtaking (from what I saw - my eyes were closed a good part of the time.)

After our ride, I checked my messages. I'd gotten a call from my friend Robin. She'd been out of town visiting her family in Lyon, so we hadn't had a chance to see each other before that day. We made plans to meet later that afternoon.

Though I'd heard many horror stories about getting one's hair cut in France, my daughter was in dire need, so when we were walking down the street and saw a sign in a salon window that they were having a special on kid's haircuts, we went in. The woman there was kind enough to take her without an appointment. After she washed and conditioned Bink's hair, she took her to the chair for the cut. Surprisingly (I was surprised because of everything I'd heard), she did exactly as Bink requested - just a trim. Next, she did what I have no patience to do: she straightened her hair with a blow dryer and a round brush. My daughter has really curly, but baby-fine hair. It took a good half hour to get through it all, but when she did, Bink looked great.

It was while she was having her hair done that Robin came in to meet us. After leaving the salon, we headed for lunch, passing something I'd never seen before in Paris: police on horseback. We sat at a cafe next to the Fontaine Stravinsky and caught up talking. She is a lesbian - the ex-girlfriend of a good friend of mine here in SF. I wanted to talk to her about PACS, and perhaps coming to some kind of agreement. As she explained it to me, the civil union would not work as far as immigration was concerned - I'd already need to be living in France (on a student visa, for example,) and the PACS would allow me to stay beyond the visa. So, alas, no hot lesbian PACS action for me.

Next on the agenda was a stop at Monop' for groceries. We had a long list of things we wanted to bring back to the States. Robin came with us, and we did a ton of shopping. She helped us lug it back to the hotel, and then she headed home.

After sorting out the purchases, we headed to Sacré Cœur to meet Gabrielle for our last dinner in Paris.

Links to this post

Create a Link