« Home | How to celebrate Independence Day » | A little too close to home... » | Pride bonus! » | Meme madness » | San Francisco Days » | Hope springs eternal » | Catrina & Me at the Dyke March » | Pride weekend » | Sometimes I hate people » | Today was hot » 

Friday, July 07, 2006 

Football and French

On Wednesday, I went to the Alliance Française at noon to watch the France vs Portugal World Cup match. It was a lot of fun. There was a big screen set up in the theatre, and the audience was made up of a large group of French folks who looked as if they were taking long lunches.

It is a sad reality how poorly received football (soccer) is in the United States. I think that if American women knew how high the Average Hotness Rating (AHR) of the footballers of the world is, this sport would take off in popularity here. I had no idea. Wow. Hott!

We watched the game on TV5, so (naturally) all the commentary was in French. I couldn't follow it very well, so at half-time I went upstairs and signed up for a conversation class. Not bad marketing on their part, eh? It worked on me!

After the game, I drove over to Oakland to pick up my girl who was returning from horseback riding camp. She had a great time all week - except, apparently, for mucking the stalls. Ha!

Today was my first French class, and it was not good. Not good, because I was the most fluent student in the class. Listening to the other students was actually painful. So, I've moved up to the next level! Yay me - though I still can't really write in French for shit, speaking is more important to me.

Sunday for the France vs. Italy final game, I was going to go back to the Alliance, but found out today that there will be a big screen set up outside at Dolores Park. I think we'll have a picnic. Start time is 11:00 am here in San Francisco - want to go Tomate?

Allez les Bleus!

YAY now I know another American girl who likes to watch football/soccer! There aren't many of us, it seems. And yeah, those footballers/soccer players are HOT HOT HOT!!!! I am embarrassed to say that Becks is the reason I started watching the game in the first place back when he was dating Posh Spice - I thought he was soooo dreamy :p I still don't know all the rules of the game but it's exciting to watch!!!

Wish you were here to join us at Le Temps. But you'll hear us from there :-)

Allez les Bleus.

The player Vavadoo whatever fellow is the one Stéph and I call the political refugee... I like it when he comes on to the field. His hair goes whoosh.

Ribery is the serial killer. We love him.

I'm on pins and needles already for the game tomorrow. The Portugal match was super stressful. Tomorrow is going to be crazy!

Ah, sorry, I got to your post - and email - too late! I saw the game at home today while nursing a few sunburns I got yesterday when I was up in Marin County (sigh).

Well congrats on skipping a class. I'm (pleasantly) surprised to find out that French people showed up at Alliance Francaise to watch the game. I was under the impression that the Alliance was mostly designed for American people who are willing to spend money to learn French and not particularly to promote any kind of French community, but maybe I just went at the wrong times and spoke to the wrong people...

Anyway, glad you had fun. Hope you tell us all about the ambiance at Dolores Park today!

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link