« Home | Football and French » | How to celebrate Independence Day » | A little too close to home... » | Pride bonus! » | Meme madness » | San Francisco Days » | Hope springs eternal » | Catrina & Me at the Dyke March » | Pride weekend » | Sometimes I hate people » 

Saturday, July 08, 2006 

Sony ad

Is this racist? I think it screams "PlayStation Portable White...for oppression on the go!" But maybe that's just me. What do you think?

i agree with you on this one. the dominating presence of the white woman over the black man in the billboard really is an oppressive image. i'm sure many people will bitch about how overly sensitive we are in looking at it this way, but isn't that how racism works...seemingly harmless ads that clearly reinforce hierarchy/hegemony/etc.?? i'll stop at that here but wow...could i go on and on!

You asked an opinion, so here is mine.

First of all, I did not notice there was a Black person on the picture (still can't make out if its a guy or a woman) until BReal pointed it out; my monitor is not the greatest, and it's pretty small, too. So without seeing the Black person, I immediately thought "white... like an iPod. They're trying to ride on the iPod's popularity to sell this thing" That's what I thought.

But now that I see the Black person there, I guess I have to agree with you guys. This ad is at the very least rather cocky, in-your-face, arrogant, and in poor taste. But if it grabbed your attention, then I guess it did its job...

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link