« Home | Karma is a bitch » | Let the games begin » | My new baby! » | It's Official! » | Cryptic » | My birthday gift to myself » | Good & Bad: A short list » | "...And, scene." » | Stunted » | Big girls don't cry » 

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 

Lots of stuff

I've been up to a lot. So much in fact, that I'm not sure I'll bother to write all about it. Highlights include:

Last Thursday, I met Tomate and Manuel for a drink (okay, I had three.) It was nice meeting Manu, even though he told me that my site has devolved into a "chick blog." Whatever!!

My phone rang, and it was my friend E. We had gone on a date a couple of weeks before, and gotten along well, but no other dates since...unless you count going to the movies. I don't count that as a date because I was at the theatre waiting for Catrina when he called. He asked what I was doing, and I told him. I invited him to come along, so he met us there. And then he dropped me off at my place immediately after. That doesn't count, does it? Plus, my hair was in a ratty ponytail, I was wearing sweats and a t-shirt, and no make up - obviously not expecting to see him. So, I don't consider that a date.

Anyway, so I invited E to join us, and Tomate invited her friend M to come along as well. I had such a good time with the four of them. I guess they're all, technically, "strangers" but it felt like I was with old friends. After we left the bar, we walked to Ti Couz for a bite to eat. At this point, M mumbled something about it not being his type of food and left...without so much as a word of goodbye. Which was weird, but we got to spend endless amounts of time deconstructing his odd behavior, and hypothesizing about its origins - which was entertaining!

As it was a school night, and getting late, we decided to leave. Manu, E and I walked Tomate to her train, and then Manu and E walked me home (where I gave each of them a hug goodnight - see, Manu? E wasn't a date!)

The next night, I had two tickets to see comedian Patton Oswalt. I'd just been given the tickets the day before, and hadn't invited anyone, so when we were saying goodbye the night before, I invited E. This, my friends, was a date. Our second official, though we'd gone out three times previously, if you're playing along. The show was great. Patton is really funny, and personable (he always hangs out after his show to meet/talk to/take photos with his fans.) He seems like a super-nice guy. After the show, we walked around North Beach for a while. I was hungry, but it was late, and not a lot of things were open. After stopping for one drink, I decided to just grab a quick slice of pizza. What to do next? Well. North Beach is known for its great proliferation of "gentlemen's clubs." When in Rome. E almost had a coronary when I said I wanted to check one out. But in a good way. I don't think I was supposed to know he was as excited as he was. So we decide on one of the, ahem, "classier" establishments (note: ladies get in free. Who knew?) It was so not what I expected. It was much sadder. Lots of lonely guys and bored looking women walking around in skimpy lingerie or swimwear.

As the talented "dancer" on stage did her thing on the pole, off came the top and out came the boobs. And then. Off came the bottoms. I let out an audible "Whoa! I was not expecting that!" E laughed.

We refused the many generous offers for lap dances, though one woman did push E's and my heads together and smoosh them into her boobs. I gave her two bucks.

Saturday, I went to the airport to pick up my girl! She has returned from her six-week adventure with Grandma! Here she is just as she stepped off the plane.



In the mean time, I've been offered a new job. It's with an organization that works to prevent violence among "at risk" youth. It should be good. Not only is it the most money I've ever made (which isn't saying much in a non-profit, actually) but, it's my first "Director" job title...so even if it doesn't work out, I'll have that on the ole resume. I start on the 15th of September.

One final thing that is stressing/freaking me the fuck out? I got an email from G this morning:

Yo Buzz G

I'm having a bbq on Saturday afternoon, come on over if you're free. (See, I told you I wanted to be your friend.)


What does this mean? I couldn't possibly go, could I?

HOLY SHIT! Maybe I should take E!!

Definitely take E! And enjoy the new job. It sounds great, Madame la Directrice!

Congrats on the new job. Hoorah!

What? No photos from the Gentlemen's Club? (I'm totally kidding)

Your daughter is such a cutie!! And CONGRATS on the new job! That is so kick ass!

And I say Hell Yeah go to the BBQ!

(The author of this comment wishes to apologize for the embarrassing amount of exclamation points found therein.)

Aie, many commnets actually, not just one!

1) First of all, thanks for walking me to the train!

2) Your kid just is adorable!

3) I'm afraid I have to agree with Manu on the chick blog comment. Maybe you have to be an outsider to see it? ;)

4) E seems like a real nice guy, totally a keeper. Good luck with that relationship (and I mean it without any sarcasm whatsoever) :-)

5) Women get in for free in North Beach? Who knew!

6) BBQ sounds nice but maybe you ought to go to the zoo with E or any other place instead. G is old news. Out with the old, in with the new!

7) Congrats on the new job: are you hiring, Ms. Director? ;)

8) I had something else to say, but I forgot ...

9) Oh yeah, I had a grand old time, too, meeting Manu and E (never mind my buddy's behavior, it's just like E. said, better have him out of there happy, than miserable with us).

10. You're a good person, Buzzgirl! Somebody else could have written a much harsher account of the evening ;)

Congratulations on the new job! And yes, your daughter is adorable...I'm sure it is great to have her home again!

As far as the BBQ...hmmm...I am leaning toward Tomate's advice. Maybe take E someplace else and enjoy his company. The whole friendship thing with G sounds more complicated and precarious than anything.

There I go posting a comment on some chick blog. Maybe the mention of the barbecue will attract some straight male comments - I'm gonna be watching this.

I say if you really want to prove me wrong, write a post about football or something. (sorry gentlemen)

Congrats on the job!

Congratulations on the new job, Buzzgirl!!!!

And go to the BBQ ;)

1. never turn down BBQ.

2. Your girl is ADORABLE!

3. Congrats on the new job!

Lawdy, with all this goin' on, I gotta find you a frenchie? Are you nuts? Wait, nevermind...

The world of blogging meets in SF! Sounds like it was a great time if you have that many stories to tell afterwards. If it hadn't been fun, it would have been a one-liner on this chic blog...or did you say "chick"?

Now, coming from someone in Paris, I'd give anything for good BBQ, so you kept me interested at least - and the abbreviations "E", "M", "G" keep me interested along the way.

Your daughter photographs so well and always looks like a ball of fun when you post her picture. I imagine mom is like that too.

Good luck in the job and I'll be waiting to see how it turns out.

Michael: I can confirm: Mom is a ball of fun, too!

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link