« Home | The Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon Show! » | So, it's been a year... » | The Answer is Four » | Ironically, I feel worthless... » | Not a "real" post... » | Last day of summer » | I hate clauses. » | Football and E » | I miss this place » | I know, I know » 

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 

I don't cook

It's not that I can't, I actually can. It's just that I don't. I swear to god that if I didn't own a microwave, my kid would starve. It's horrible, I know. But there are tons of cheap, tasty places to eat in my neighborhood.

Of course, there are occasions. Thanksgiving is not one of them. You'd think it would be, but it's not. At least not for me. I haven't been to my mom's for the holiday in at least five years. Maybe more. I don't remember. I usually end up at a friend's home - which is where we'll be again this year.

No, I'll usually only cook if I have an uncontrollable craving for something. Like brussels sprouts. Seriously. I know people hate them, and usually, I'm ambivalent about them. But sometimes I have to have them. Unfortunately, they're a bit labor intensive to prepare. I have decided, however, to share with you my favorite preparation thereof. It's not a recipe, per se, because I never actually measure anything (unless I'm baking.) But here goes:

Get a couple of pounds of brussels sprouts, some chicken stock, salt & pepper, a lemon or two, some good grated parmesan, a few cloves of garlic, some bread crumbs and a few slices of thick-cut bacon.

Prep the sprouts by trimming the ends off and cutting in half. Braise in stock until semi-soft. Drain. Fry up the bacon (we don't have lardons here, or I'd use them) and chop it up (not too finely - you wanna know you're eating bacon!) Chop up and sautee the garlic. Transfer the sprouts to a baking dish, season with s & p, mix in the bacon and garlic, mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle it on top. Throw the whole thing under the broiler till it's golden brown. Squeeze a little lemon juice on just before serving. Delish.

Of course, one could go veggie (or even vegan) by using vegetable stock instead of chicken, and omitting the bacon and cheese but, why, why, why??!! My life's motto is "everything's better with bacon."

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

You made that sound good.
I agree with the bacon. I also think that everything is better when cooked with duck fat.

Happy Thanksgiving Buzzgirl! Not sure I'll be coming to your house for dinner, but I can always bring my microwave-ready turkey if needed! ;-)

Hi buzzgirl, this is really random, but I got an email out of nowhere tonight from a gay Frenchman living in San Francisco looking for an American to marry for a green card (offering up French citizenship in exchange)....send me an email if you want me to forward your info on to him!!!

Mmm... Brussels sprouts. I think I'll try and find some and use your recipe. YUM.

All that's made me hungry.

hey i got the same letter as Sam.....I didn't know he was gay..what happened with that anyway??

Ha! I made some brussel sprouts this year to go along with the turkey. I used bacon too, no cheese though but about one million onions. I always overcook them, I like when they melt in your mouth. I used the turkey juices instead of the chicken stock. Yum.

Thanks for posting this! I made it and I can now officialy say I like brussels sprouts. It was very good.

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link