« Home | I know it's old... » | This is me » | Get lost! » | My sexual crime... » | So... » | Think of me... » | Baby? Boom! » | The "C" List » | I don't cook » | The Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon Show! » 

Thursday, January 11, 2007 

It was for a good cause

There's a local business here in San Francisco called Dark Garden. It is a store dedicated to all things corsetry. Yes. Corsets. I've never had any attraction to corsets. They look complicated - and painful. My only reference has been those I've seen on fetishists at the Folsom St. Fair



or Renaissance Faire nerds.



Neither is a particularly appealing demographic for me, so I'm not actually sure why I bid on the item at the silent auction for my kid's school. I bid on three or four things not expecting to get any of them, because I'm, you know, poor. Well, poorish. Imagine my surprise when I got an email on Monday letting me know I won the $200 gift certificate to the corsetry shop. Of all the things I bid on, this is the one I win? Sheesh.

So, Bink and I went yesterday evening to check the place out. The shop looks exactly like some place Stevie Nicks would shop. I explained to the woman that I had this gift certificate, but was clueless about corsets. She was really nice and walked me through their stuff. They are known, apparently for their custom made corsets (costing upwards of $700). Yeah, not for me, thanks. Let's work within the parameters of the gift certificate and buy something off the rack, shall we?

First step was taking my measurements. We went into the dressing room where she, armed with a tape measure, asked me to take off my shirt and bra. As I did, I thought to myself "Wow, she's just gotten further than my last date." She said "It looks like you've lost some weight recently." I was so happy. I've lost 25+ lbs. over the last six months or so. It wasn't until later that I realized that the only reason she would know that would be because of my stretch marks/excess skin. Eeeewwww, nasty. And oh, so pretty.

Anyway, she took the measurements and got a "sizing" corset for me to try. After she puts it on me, closes the front and laced up the back, I got my first look in the mirror. Oh. My. God. I looked freaking hot. Hello, waist! Nice to meet you. Even the kid was like, "Mom, that looks so good!" I was sold. Mostly because I had been expecting not to be able to move or breathe, but I could!

So, here's what I bought:



It is complicated to put on, so Bink was brought into the dressing room to learn how to lace up her mother's corset. That's why we have kids, right?

Of course, the biggest question is when on Earth, under what circumstances would I ever wear it?! I like it, though. I even tried my shirt on over it at the shop, and it made my regular clothes look better. Nice.

I bet it even makes that boot you've been wearing look better.

Thanks for the introduction to corsets. I've never had one one; I imagine it's the only way I'd ever come close to experiencing what it'd be like to have an hourglass figure.

What a great post Buzzgirl. I echo all that Annie said...and I mean all! LOL

Now, when you go to the Fleetwood Mac reunion one day you won't be asking, "what shall I wear?"

25+ lbs? You must be pleased, no? Good for you. So, when are you back in France to meet some geeks? I'll have to line up a corset-loving-geek convention for you...all in the attempt to make you happy.

Hope you're well.

I made a corset in college. With knitted wire for the boning, red velvet and satin with loopholes made out of metal plates. It was a bitch to sew together but so very cool looking once finished.

Your's looks very nice. I'm jealous.

25 + pounds in 6 months? Holy shit!

That's a really beautiful corset. I have worn them when acting in period plays and they KILL! You do feel very feminine of course and shapely but my God is it worth it? ... er yes probably. For a limited period.

Oh, I love the idea of corsets but like you, I have never tried one on. Oooohhh...now you have me wanting one! But sadly, I dont' know who would lace mine up!!! :-)

Congratulations on losing the weight. That is incredible...25 lbs. in 6 months.

Hope everything else is going well for you buzz.

Oooh, very very pretty!!

You know we want to see you wearing it now.

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link