« Home | I have accomplished nothing » | Hi Jeff! » | Cockblocked » | Dichoto "me" » | Gavin's sexual crime » | I couldn't last a week » | Brief surgery recap » | I'm going under the knife today » | It was for a good cause » | I know it's old... » 

Sunday, March 11, 2007 

Baby, it's hot outside...

...and I can't even ride my bike to take advantage of it. Damn it.

I've started physical therapy. I only go once a week, which is good since I can go on Saturdays. My first appointment wasn't so bad, actually. The therapist evaluated my range of motion, showed me some exercises to do, and massaged the scar site for 5 long minutes. She told me that we would "start slow and then we'll get more... aggressive over the next few weeks." I didn't like the way she paused before she said "aggressive."

Yesterday was my second visit. She wanted me to stand on my feet - without the boot. I haven't stood on my left foot in six weeks. Six weeks! Let's just say I was more than a little apprehensive. Luckily, I was allowed to hold onto the counter. I wasn't expected to actually take a step (thank god) but, man, did it feel weird. I'm so unsteady on my feet - or foot, I guess. It's strange to have to learn to put weight on the left side of my body again. I was given new exercises to strengthen my weakened thigh and hip muscles. It's odd to see how much smaller and thinner my left leg is in comparison to the right. My right leg did a lot of work dragging my left around. I guess I didn't realize. The crazy thing is that six weeks isn't even half-way to recovery for me. It's so freaking infuriating. As I've said, I'm not a patient woman. But I know I'll never take walking for granted. (Actually, I never really have. I always appreciated being to walk.)

Yay! Bink and I went grocery shopping for the first time in a month and a half. The big chains here (Safeway, Albertsons) deliver, but Trader Joe's doesn't, and anyway, I really prefer going myself.

Though the people in my life have been awesome in helping me get around, it's nice to be more independent. My mom has been so cute - she's been sending me care packages, like when I was in college. It's hilarious. They've contained things like little pudding cups, soups and those cups of ramen noodles. It's reminiscent of the $25 checks her godmother still sends her every year for her birthday!

I'm happy to report that I haven't gained any weight back, so far. Of course, I haven't lost anymore either. I haven't invested any money in new clothes, but I have bought new underwear which is just as satisfying. For me, anyway.

So, that's what's new with me. Nothing exciting, but sometimes that's good.

I cannot imagine not being able to drive. Actually I can. And it sucked. Of course, that's the chance one takes when one decides to not get the automatic. But where's the fun in driving an automatic?

So glad to hear that you're getting out and regaining some semblance of independence.

I hope you mend quickly. It's never fun to be out of sync like that.

I'm happy to hear that you are recovering and able to get around a bit more freely!

I understand the frustration, but thankfully things are back on track. Your mom's a total sweetie.

Wel I'm glad you're on the road to recovery...and back on the road in general. (All puns intended)

Physical therapy sucks, but speaking from experience, I can tell ya that it teaches you just how physically strong you really are, and what your body is really capable of.

Girl power....blah blah blah... you can do it!

Nothing worse than an Oompa without her usual Loompa! Solved your photo problem at PDP by the way! You'll either love me or hate me, but thought I should give you fair warning! ;-)

Hope you're doing better.

hey girl! Long time no... read! Good to find you again!

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link